Natural gas treatment
This includes all the natural gas treatment and fractioning processes to make the various components available for subsequent industrial operations, such as petrochemical and chemical processes. It also includes the liquefaction of gas to facilitate transport by ship. In this case, a higher level of purity of the gas is essential upstream of the LNG plants. The production plants are normally located at strategic onshore locations and they receive the gaseous hydrocarbons obtained in the Oil & Gas production plants. This application includes:
- Compression of gaseous hydrocarbons, in which there can be several vertical gas-liquid separators such as ‘Suction KO Drums’, ‘Interstage KO Drums’ and ‘Discharge KO Drums’
- Dehydration, where there can be several gas-liquid and liquid-liquid separators such as ‘Glycol contactors’, ‘Inlet separators’, ‘Flash separators’, ‘Low Temperature Separators’ and various ‘KO Drums’
- Liquefaction, in which there can be several vertical gas-liquid separators such as ‘Inlet separators’, ‘Overhead reflux drums’, ‘Suction KO Drums’, ‘Interstage KO Drums’, ‘Discharge KO Drums’, ‘Demisters at the top of absorption columns’
Depending on the operating conditions (temperature and pressure) and properties of the process fluids (flow rate, density, viscosity and surface tension), Costacurta selects and designs the correct set of internals guaranteeing efficiency and minimising pressure drop, weights, dimensions and the costs of the internals and of the separators they are installed in.
Vertical gas-liquid separator
Typical vertical gas-liquid separator fitted with a vane feed inlet distributor, a VICO-Tex agglomerator and a VICO-Spin. The combination of a VICO-Tex agglomerator and a VICO-Spin has two main advantages:
- High separation performances at high velocity, thanks to the coalescence effect provided by the agglomerator.
- High turndown: the VICO-Tex acts as main separator at low gas velocity, maintaining a high efficiency level.
This combination of internals is widely used in gas compression trains or for the retrofitting of existing equipment.
Horizontal gas-liquid-liquid separator
Typical horizontal gas-liquid-liquid separator equipped with a vane feed inlet distributor, perforated plate calming baffle, VICO-Tex coalescer and VICO-Vane at the gas outlet.
This type of separator is widely used when the separation of liquid-liquid secondary dispersion is required and the fluids have no propensity to cause fouling.